Saturday, December 4, 2010

December Birthdays

While I really love making Christmas cards, it was rather nice to take a break and make a birthday card yesterday for a friend with a birthday next week. This is NOT the card I made:


Well, I did make this card, but back in September at a card store in Vancouver when we were out there. It's okay, but not really me. On my own, I wouldn't choose green and brown for my flower colours. (Aren't brown flowers dead?) I got to colour the two background flowers, but not the popped-up one, and I like to think I might have shaded it a little better than it is. But maybe that's just me. ☺ It was fun to try Copics for the first time, but there's only so much shading you can do with 2 browns and 2 greens, especially when they forget to give you the lighter green until after you've finished colouring.
Anyway... I liked the general design and wanted to try it again with my own slant. Here's what resulted:


In my head, it was done in mauves with a different flower, but it ended up in pink and black with the lily image instead. Funny how that happens. Instead of Copics, which I don't have, I watercoloured the main lily with the distress ink. 

Supplies: white & black cs, Recollections dp, SU Fifth Avenue Floral lily, Unity October 2010 KOTM sentiment, Worn Lipstick Distress ink, clear ep, dimensionals Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Emily Leiphart said...

Wow, Lindsey, that first card may not have been your style but you rocked it! It's always fun to try something out of your comfort zone and look what fabulousness resulted. I think the colours work wonderfully!

Your second card is simply beautiful. I love the popped fully-coloured flower against the outlines. It's very striking!

Angela said...

Brown flowers=odd. Pretty, but odd! It's a nice layout though (and I do love brown and green).
Your pink version is very, very pretty! I love how modern those outline flower images look!