Thursday, October 9, 2014

Do You Watercolour?

If you are a cardmaker, you probably do. It seems that the majority of cards I see online these days have a watercolour component. And of course I am no exception -- I've been really enjoying watercolouring with the real thing, distress markers or ink pads, pencils... I think that's part of the appeal, there seem to be endless variations. 
I've also been trying to get back to watching some of the techniques presented in the Online Card Class Stretch Your Stamps 2. Imagine my shock when a stamp set I actually own was the featured stamp set one day! Debby Hughes demonstrated a fun technique that I decided to try.



Step one was the background. I smushed some distress ink onto my stamp-a-ma-jig plastic square (not owning an acrylic block large enough), spritzed it with water, and smushed the result onto the paper. Next up was cleaning off said plastic sheet so I could stamp the balloons on it. This provides a template to see where the balloons are going to go, and then adding blots of various watercolours more or less where each balloon will end up. (Debby's card more, my card much less precise.) While that dried, I stamped and watercoloured my little bunny. When everybody was dry, I stamped the balloons in their final spot, added bunny, and stamped and embossed the sentiment. 
This card is for two challenges: this month's Mama Elephant "Anything Goes" challenge and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday watercolour challenge. 
If you're looking for a challenge... the current Snarky Sisters challenge is still open! I is for Iconic -- use an iconic person, place or thing as part of your project. You could be our next Queen or Princess of Snark! ☺️



Supplies: white & Stampin' Up melon mambo cardstock, Strathmore multimedia paper, Mama Elephant Up and Away stamps & die, Versafine onyx black & tumbled glass distress inks, Zing clear embossing powder, Koh-in-oor watercolours, watercolour pencils, black sharpie (to add the apostrophe!)

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Chris Dring said...

Now I want this stamp set so I can try this super cool technique also! Your card is fantastic, Lindsey!

Virginia L. said...

Hi Lindsey, Your water-coloring is really fabulous! GREAT pairing for the images! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Watercolor” Challenge!

Jessi Fogan said...

I can imagine the shock finding you have one of the sets! I would have the same reaction. This.is.awesome.! The much-less-precise look adds to the movement of the balloons through the sky - this is just too fun!!

Anonymous said...

The background is perfect and the loose flowy colour on your balloons is pretty and whimsical.
Heather T

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I do love those brightly water coloured balloons! So glad you could join us at Mama Elephant & Me!

Heather said...

Ok, not fair. How can something so simple look so dog-gone cute. Love the balloons and the clouds.