Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Classic in Red and Gold

This week the Merry Monday Christmas Challenge is looking for cards made in red and gold. 



Did someone say red? ;) I can do red. As for the gold, I haven't yet got into the foiling trend, but I will happily heat emboss just about anything. Since red and gold are such a classic combination, I decided to go old-school with both my image and design. 



I embossed the stamp with my gold embossing powder and then coloured just the letters in red. (I have coloured the entire stamp before... a little time-consuming.) I went with a very traditional die shape to cut it out. It looked just a little plain on its own on the red card base, but gold ribbon seemed to add the right amount of extra interest. I also tried just a red mat and a white card base... nope. If I was going to do it again, I might use cream cardstock instead of white, but I'm happy with it as it is. 
The embossing:



This is my third pot of gold embossing powder... the other two eventually tarnished and dulled into brown. This one is a few years old now but so far is holding its shine quite nicely. 
Thanks to Bonnie, I am also entering this in the current Happy Little Stampers CAS challenge. 
It's November, the month of Christmas card making, so be prepared for a few more over the next while... 


Supplies: white & Stampin' Up real red cardstock, Stampin' Up Christmas Postcard stamp, Versamark ink, pirate's gold embossing powder, red Sharpie, Spellbinders Labels Four die, gold ribbon, pop-dot tape

Pin It Now!

12 comments:

Ardyth said...

Classic is the perfect word for this - love this and it has inspired my final church Christmas card design for this year.

natashakara said...

Nice! This is very 'classic' card. Beautifully done Lindsey :)

Leslie Hanna said...

Classic, indeed. This is gorgeous!

Bonnie said...

I'm more into gold embossing than foil and gilding, but anyway you do it, I love gold and red! This is so pretty, Lindsey! You can also add this at Happy Little Stampers CAS challenge. Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday!

Heather said...

This is gorgeous. I love that stamp and what you've done with it. Beautiful card.

Marcia Hill said...

This is absolutely beautiful! The embossing is just lovely...what a perfect card!! :0)

Creating with Susan said...

This is beautiful!

Kathy Schweinfurth said...

So very elegant! Wonderful gold embossed image!! Thanks so much for playing with us this week at Merry Monday!

Marianne said...

Your design is stunning!! Would love to receive that card this holiday season!

Susan Joyce said...

Lovely vintage design, I like that you coloured the letters in red. Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday.

Toni said...

very elegant and classy. Love the gold and red combo!

Thanks for sharing!
Toni
HLS CAS DT

Linda said...

Beautiful classic Christmas card. Thanks for playing along with the HLS challenge xx