Friday, June 17, 2016

Wonderful Watercolour Craft Day


I'm back for the third day of arts and crafts activities at My Favorite Things' Camp Create! Day Three's craft is Wonderful Watercolour, and I was inspired both by Francine's beautiful card and instructional video, and by my friend Violet posting a photo of a gorgeous hibiscus on Instagram. Here's what I ended up with: 



This hibiscus stamp is a solid image, so i set myself the challenge of using it for no-line colouring, rather than the more usual outline stamp. I stamped the flower in pale pink, but used distress inks and markers to make the colour much more vivid, with a touch of yellow on the edges much as Francine did. I added some deeper colour to the centre to add more depth. I stamped the smaller stamen of the set by inking it in both pink and yellow. (There's a larger stamen that I just can't bring myself to use; I'll let you hypothesize why). I added a wash of green around the flower, then splattered both pink and green. The sentiment is embossed with sparkle embossing powder, my new favourite thing. (So to speak.) I managed to find a piece of patterned paper that matched the pinks and greens perfectly! Justifies keeping so much of it, obviously. :D 
This card is also going into the current Addicted to CAS challenge: Aloha. 


Supplies: white cardstock, Strathmore watercolour paper, Basic Grey Oliver patterned paper, MFT Tropical Sensations stamps, Memento Luxe tuxedo black & picked raspberry & lucky clover distress inks, Hero Arts sparkle embossing powder, distress markers

Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Barbara Godden said...

Gorgeous card, beautifully done flower. great design.

Susan said...

So pretty and delicate. Love it. Thanks for sharing at ATCAS!

Barb Ghig said...

Beautiful no line coloring on your Hibiscus and your splatters are fabulous, Lindsey! Thanks so much for playing along with us at ATCAS!

Jen W. said...

This is gorgeous! Your flower looks amazing and I love the patterned paper. And yes, stay far away from those large stamens!!! :D

Anonymous said...

The layout of this card is so different and effective. The patterned paper is a great border but you have done more than just make a frame of a strip of it which is what I would have come up with. The colouring is soft and pretty too.